ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Ant in the future
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:46:16 GMT
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > > If you recall I have already mentioned that some people are playing with
> > > that already ;) One of my main reasons for separating the task engine
> > > from the project engine but unfortunately that idea was KBed ;(
> >
> > I don't remember this event - can you give more details ? Was it a problem
> > with the idea or the implementation ?
>
> idea.

I'll try to search the archives.

One of my pains today is the ProjectHelper - and I think the best solution
is to separate it and make it pluggable i.e. other 'helper engines'
could be used, assuming the 'contracts' are respected ( it's backward
compatible ).

Other engines could provide additional features like namespace support,
axis style of handlers, maybe even additional syntactic constructs.
Since those are not part of ant, but extensions ( like user tasks),
nobody can complain what's inside.

This is similar with 'pluggable task engine'. I assume the 'task engine'
is the code in Project that resovles target deps and calls the
tasks. Refactoring the code ( with the current API preserved, wrapping
the new class ) seem to me like a decent ( and similar ) proposal,
that would be benefical for ant.

Is anything that I'm missing here ?

Costin