ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Ant in the future
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:02:03 GMT
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > Maybe we should link it from our resources page so that people know
> > what we are working on?
>
> If you recall I have already mentioned that some people are playing with that
> already ;) One of my main reasons for separating the task engine from the
> project engine but unfortunately that idea was KBed ;(

I don't remember this event - can you give more details ? Was it a problem
with the idea or the implementation ?

I find hard to imagine a motivation for oposing an increased modularity
in ant's core - and that seemed to be the direction in the last
years. Making the ProjectHelper and the task engine more modular
and pluggable seems very reasonable and without any backward
incompatibility problems ( since all old methods and model can
be preserved ).

I can understand oposition to different implementation aproaches -
that's why making it pluggable and then supporting multiple
choices would be a good idea.

IMHO that would be a better fight to get it in than a different
codebase. The more I look at both proposals, the less I like the
idea of ant2.

Costin