ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:39:20 GMT
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> I do not think DEPRECATION should be in the same scale
> as regular messages. To me -deprecation should present
> the deprecated messages independently of the levels of
> logging.

IMHO the right solution for logging would be to use (delegate) to
commons-logging instead of Task.log().
Unfortunately, neither commons-logging nor avalon or
log4j supports a 'deprecation' level.

Do we want to add a special API just for deprecation ?

What about a 'ant.deprecation.behavior' property ( i.e.
no API change in ant core ). A task that wants to
report a deprecation will first read the property
from the project and act acording to it ( or do
whatever else he wants ).

Adding a method in core is significant - we'll
have to support it in future.

Costin