ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Glenn A. McAllister" <gl...@somanetworks.com>
Subject RE: question and idea.
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:54:14 GMT
On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Jonathan Locke wrote:

> yeah, this is what i was thinking of.  i think in a technical
> sense that it's a tree because the text is represented by special
> PCDATA nodes.  but i don't think of it as a tree...  my bad.

My point extactly.  A DOM representation of a document is a tree.

> --- Scott Sanders <ssanders@nextance.com> wrote:
> >
> > <smart-assed-comment>
> >   Thought I would add the token smart-assed comment here:
> >
> >   <foo/>  is a weel-formed, non-tree XML document.  ;-)
> > </smart-assed-comment>

The PCDATA is a node in the tree.  Read the spec.

As Eric mentions later, its a interesting proof of concept to decouple Ant
from the filesystem.  However, what I'm having problems with is this idea
of replacing the XML format for Ant.  And if I've missed the point
completely, my appologies.

So, at this point, I'm going to back off and say "Its an interesting idea
and I'd be interested in seeing the results," and leave it at that.  I've
stated my $0.02.

Here's hoping that isn't too Jon-like an answer. :)

Glenn McAllister
SOMA Networks, Inc.