ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Rob Oxspring" <roxspr...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: cullers
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:28:27 GMT

I think we are agreeing here - <and> / <or> do make sense as compond
selectors whereas a <set> has unlear semantics.

> > Bluesky:
> > Both of the proposals seem to be addressing the short sightedness of the
> > include/exclude mechanism which is great. Ideally I would like to see
> > include and exclude dumped in favour of something more generic:
> >
> > <fileset dir="...">
> >     <and>
> >         <filesize size="4" units="k" when="more"/>
> >         <not><and>
> >             <filename pattern="Test*.jar"/>
> >             <perimission attrib="readonly"/>
> >             <filesize size="5" units="k" when="more">
> >         </and></not>
> >     </and>
> > </fileset>
> >

> +1, if you can achieve backwards compatibility too, somehow.

How about allowing people to use either include/exclude or selectors ina
fileset but not mix and match - This lets people migrate to the newer syntax
slowly and doesn't force them to change.  If implemented as selectors then
the <include> elements could maybe be kept mapping directly onto filename
selectors, and I think the same is true for <exclude> if implemented as
cullers - thinking about it the pure xor of the two approaches still makes
the most sense to me.  For those that think the above is too verbose then
maybe we could a top level selector <and/<or> implicit and just document
which is the default; having shorthands such as <nand> and <nor> are also
likely to be useful.

Rob