ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: antlib descriptor
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:27:10 GMT

Excellent.  I can help with refactoring, as we move stuff across.

> Actually one of the things
> I am trying to achieve in the proposal is to strenghen the Project API
> so that the information we need is delivered without needing to look
> inside Project's internal datastructures.

Yep - some refactoring of the Ant internals would be a good thing to do.

> > I think we want to tackle this a piece-at-a-time.  All of the proposals
> > include features that are experimental.  We don't want to include the
> > experimental bits in the ant 1.5 tree.  This is why I want to break the
> > process up into small steps, each with limited scope.  At the
> end of each
> > step, we end up with something in the ant 1.5 tree.  Maybe it's
> an entire
> > proposal, maybe it's a chunk of one, maybe it's a distillation of all 3,
> > maybe none of the above.
> >

> Sound good to me. BTW I was ready to add descriptors for the definitions
> in ant/lib and was thinking how to do it. The current code looks
> in one file
> containing core and optional declarations. In your proposal, you look for
> on each jar in ant/lib for descriptors. I would like to go your way.
>
> Next is what to do on failure. What do we do if a class cannot be loaded?
> Do we warn, ignore of stop when this happens. Shall we provide options?
> This is relevant since ANT does not contain all tasks all the time.

Not for long, hopefully.  Once we get the descriptor stuff in, I'd love to
axe optional.jar, and chop it up into its various bits.  This way, we can
simply stop on failure, rather than trying to deal with the fact that a
class in a descriptor may not be present.

Adam