ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: antlib descriptor
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 05:51:13 GMT

Yep, it is.  All I've done is look over the proposals, and distill out the
simplest common elements, so that we can push them into the ant 1.5 tree.
I'm not proposing anything that hasn't been proposed (a thousand times)
before.

> Would it be possible to work with Jose Alberto to bring your two visions
> into sync so we have one implementation we can pull in to the main tree?

Absolutely.  The next step after deciding on a starting point for the
descriptor format, is to extract out a task that can import type defs from
an antlib.  Jose Alberto's proposal is the only one with a task that we can
push into ant 1.5, so we'd probably start with that.

I think we want to tackle this a piece-at-a-time.  All of the proposals
include features that are experimental.  We don't want to include the
experimental bits in the ant 1.5 tree.  This is why I want to break the
process up into small steps, each with limited scope.  At the end of each
step, we end up with something in the ant 1.5 tree.  Maybe it's an entire
proposal, maybe it's a chunk of one, maybe it's a distillation of all 3,
maybe none of the above.

> Also, can you leave some space inside this DTD for adding in
> implementations
> of abitrary roles, even if we dont actually support such roles in Ant1.5.
> Example: conditions, ejbjar extensions, javac and jsp factories.
> That way we
> can tack full support for them in in the post 1.5 timeframe
> inside libraries
> that will also work (downgraded) on ant 1.5.

Good idea.  How about we just ignore stuff we don't understand?

Adam