ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [myrmidon] Removing DataType marker interface
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:58:45 GMT

I guess that means you haven't looked at the changes to the Configurer, then.  That's probably
for the best :)

> > I'd like to axe the DataType marker interface.
> > Motivations are the same as for axing Component - decoupling of
> data types
> > from myrmidon/ant, etc.
>
> I see it different from Component because the sole reason for the
> interface
> is to define a group of tpes that can be defined in a build file
> - it has no
> other purpose.

Yep, absolutely.  I don't want to get rid of the data-type role, I just want to get rid of
the marker interface.  Types will still be registered using

<data-type name="blah">

and instantiated using

typeManager.getFactory( DATA_TYPE_ROLE_NAME ).create( "blah" );

They just won't have to implement DataType anymore.

> We certainly don't want arbitrary types to be
> definable like
> Cullers/Selectors/Conditions/etc - only things that make sense
> like FileSets,
> PatternSets, etc.

I agree.  I only just figured that out the other day.  Hence (some of) the changes to the
Configurer

> Anyways if you wouldn't mind waiting till next tuesday before
> doing anything
> that would be great.

Anything to DataType, yes?

Adam