ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Promotion of FilterReaders proposal to main development tree.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:34:54 GMT

+1 - very cool.

I have some tiny nitpicks, however:

* Can you split up ChainReaderHelper.processStream() into two methods:  A
method that assembles the Reader, and a utility method turns a Reader into a
String (this method would fit better on FileUtils).  You also might want to
use a StringBuffer when you're doing the conversion.

Reason for splitting the method, is that if we are going to be using the
filters in <copy> and <move>, we don't want to be building the file into a
String in-memory, we just want to stream it through.  That means we'll need
a Reader.

* Why does LoadProperties parse the properties?  Why not use
java.util.Properties?

* Should BaseFilterReader.skip() be using this.read() rather than in.read()?

* You might want to look at refactoring some of the common(-ish) stuff from
the filters down into BaseFilterReader.  For example, nearly all of the
filters deal with lines of text, and each has their own 'read a line from
the file' code.  It would be better if BaseFilterReader (or an intermediate
LineFilterReader class) took care of this for the filters.  Same with
setParameters(), setInitialised(), getInitialised(), etc.  And dealing with
buffering.

* Any chance of a filter that adjusts end-of-line characters?  How about a
regexp version of LineContains?

Adam