ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdef s Zip.java
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:42:11 GMT
<snip>

> Good idea.
>
> One potential problem, though.  One of the problems in Ant
> 1.x is the fact that once a setter/adder method has been
> added to a task/type, it cannot be removed because other
> tasks/types may be directly using it.

Yup. Breaking code we don't know about isn't terribly friendly :)

> So, an alias facility would only be feasible if we can
> prevent that happening in Ant 2 (which I think we should).
> We can deal with that with a decent antlib
> versioning/dependency story, or by limiting visibility of
> types across antlibs.  But certainly not do-able in Ant 1.

Oh yes - it's a blue-sky idea, but one which might at least get us out of the current situation
without annoying people too much when they move from Ant1 to Ant2.

Admittedly it means we'd still have to come up with a "standard" set of names, and they're
never going to please everyone...

Jon