ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com>
Subject RE: Multiple patternsets in a fileset
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 00:02:07 GMT

From: Jose Alberto Fernandez [mailto:j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com]

> From: "Tim Vernum" <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com>

> > Both of which suggest that any change is going to be a
> > nightmare for backwards compatiblity.
> >

> Not if we do what we did for <ant> and inheritAll
> or what we have done elsewere, we added a compatibility flag
> defaulted to the old behaviour.

OK, but I'm not sure that achieves much.
The argument is that the current behaviour is counter-intuitive.
If the default setting is to preserve existing behaviour, then
the default will still be counter-intuitive.

There is a work-around now, that uses multiple filesets.
What you're suggesting is another work-around, which is fine,
but it won't solve the problem that people who are unfamiliar
with the workings of file/patternsets will be confused by
the default behaviour.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie
Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not
read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and
should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may