ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject Re: <ant>
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:50:10 GMT
At 20:17 24/02/2002 +1100, Peter Donald wrote:

>I would just warn when any character not in the set
>
>a-z A-Z 0-9 . - _
>
>Maybe drop the '.' so names ar emore consistent with defacto xml naming
>conventions.

By all means restrict the valid set of characters for target names, but
please don't leave out a set of useful "separator" style characters like these:

. - :

In order to maintain control over the large number of targets I often need
in build files (especially since the "Ant Way" seems to require a larger
number of smaller targets instead of the reverse) I use a naming convention
of a "base name" followed by suffix sections. This gives target names like
this:

Base.build.11001
Base.src.11001
Delphi.application
Delphi.application.gui
Delphi.application.console
Delphi.package

This makes sense to me because the "Delphi.application.gui" and
"Delphi.application.console" targets are a part of "Delphi.application" -
so the reuse of dot notation in the style of Java/Delphi seems clear.

My 2c,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).