ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject Re: Submission - Ant Templating
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:28:50 GMT
At 22:34 12/02/2002 +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
>sweet! Looks great

Ta!

>So I agree it is nice - I implemented mine using code-fu but it looks like
>you used pure xslt ? If so I like ;)

Yes, pure XSLT.

The only "funky" bit is the "attribute parameter substitution" code which
took a little effort to put together.

>I haven't used it widely yet - have you ? Can you tell us if there was any
>problems brought up?

I've been using Ant and XSLT to create some websites - mostly technology
overkill, but a good way to learn. The templates have made it really simple
to write the build files for each site.

FWIW, here are the sites:

http://www.geocities.com/arps_family/
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bevan/
http://www.geocities.com/craftykids2001/

I've also prototyped the templating on our production build system here at
work and it seems to work well. However, since the project team here
"expires" on 28 February, I won't be migrating those changes into production.

The only Issues I ran across were these two:

-- Since you can replace a parameter with anything, sometimes I replace
"${srcDir}" with "${baseDir}/someplace". Without careful attention to
parameter names you can cause some havoc with not getting what you
expected. The solution is to ensure that your parameter names are unique
and don't match your property names.

-- There currently is no way to embed your own content in the middle of the
template

eg:  if you write this

<myTemplate param="value" anotherParm="anotherValue>
   <task1/>
   <task2/>
</myTemplate>

then the content of the node (the two tasks) is omitted.

I have some ideas about adding this functionality but haven't had a go yet.

Cheers,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).