ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject RE: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:06:03 GMT
At 22:04 7/02/2002 -0500, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> > I agree with Bruce. Documentation should reflect
> > the code.  If a feature is in the code, it should
> > be in the documentation.  If a feature is deprecated
> > in the code, it should be marked as deprecated in
> > the documentation but it should still be described.
>
>OK, though I would like to somehow strongly discourage
>use of deprecated features...

How about introducing a new section to the manual for Deprecated Tasks?

At the moment there are links for "Built In Tasks" and "Optional Tasks" -
add a third for "Obsolete Tasks"

When you select it, it could come up with a "These are obsolete tasks that
are documented solely to assist people updating old build files ..." message.

We could even leave tasks listed here long after the code is gone, just to
make life easier for the poor soul who has to migrate from 0.9 to 1.5 in
one hit.

If this idea suits, I'd be happy to make the changes and submit a patch for
the manual.

( I know this doesn't do much about other deprecated bits and pieces, but
it would be a large piece of the problem dealt to.)

Cheers,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).