ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:19:39 GMT
At 12:11 PM 2/5/2002 -0800, Diane Holt wrote:
>--- Magesh Umasankar <umagesh@apache.org> wrote:
> > If it has been more than 2 releases old, then +1 to chuck it away from
> > documents.
>
>CVS log for jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Delete.java
>
>[snip]
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Revision 1.9 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Wed Oct 4
>   09:18:48 2000 UTC (16 months ago) by bodewig
>   Branch: MAIN
>   CVS Tags: ANT_12_FIXES, ANT_12

Perhaps I misunderstood something, but didn't the committers decide that
anything which was deprecated would issue a warning for one major release,
issue an error for the next major release, and would be removed after that?

Has anything been done with that? This looks like a perfect candidate to be
promoted to the BuildException level, since the deprecation has been around
since 1.2. In fact, I would think that anything that was deprecated before
1.4 should throw a BuildException. Once that is done, then 1.6 could be a
target for removing lots of old code (or 1.5.1, I was never clear what the
decision was on that).

Are you just looking for a volunteer to go through the code and do it?