ant-dev mailing list archives

From Damian O'Neill <Damian.ONe...@aepona.com>
Subject Re: optional task for etags
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:28:21 GMT
Thanks for your comments Stefan, see below.

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Damian O'Neill <Damian.ONeill@aepona.com> wrote:
>
>>Apologies if I am incorrect, I am unsure if this is the correct
>>mailing list, or the correct procedure for submitting this mail too.
>>

> It is the correct mailing list.
>

>>If you feel that this maybe useful, feel free to use/distribute it.
>>

> Some comments:
>
> * why do you run etags once for every file instead of passing more
> files to it at once?

DON: I based this on the implementation of touch in the CVS repository.
   I assumed that since this was a unix based command that supports
multiple files similiar to etags that this would be a good template to
work from.

> * You shouldn't use the one String-arg exec method, this will lead to
> trouble if the file names contain spaces.  You better ...

DON: Thanks for that Stefan, I have been using it solely with .java
files(no spaces), therefore I have not come across this problem.

> * use Ant's execution framework - see org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute
> which will allow you to ...
>
> * specify the directory in which to create the TAGS file as the task
> will now always use the current working directory.
>
> Using Execute would also make the task more likely to work on non-Unix
> platforms although I don't know whether etags has been ported there.

DON: Stefan, could you suggest a task from the CVS repository that is a
good example of using org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute.

Thanks,
Damian.

> Stefan
>
> --