ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:47:28 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hmm - I am fairly sure I answered this question last time ...

I'm getting old ...

> It is ****NOT**** done by the JVM but needs to be implemented by container
> vendors. Avalon/Phoenix implements it, as does TC4 as does most newer servlet
> (and ejb?) containers because it is part of their spec.
>
> Look at they way that all the commons products now use it - even ant is
> following the spec now due to a recent contribution. Heres a basic reference
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html
>
> Example dependency declaration
>
> Extension-List: javahelp
> javahelp-Extension-Name: javax.help
> javahelp-Specification-Version: 1.0
> javahelp-Implementation-Version: 1.0.3
> javahelp-Implementation-Vendor-Id: com.sun
>
> No location dependent information there.

Thanks for the link. I guess I find the spec a little vague. For
example, according to
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/extensions.html
"Installed optional packages are JAR files in the directory

lib/ext       [in the Java 2 Runtime Environment]
jre/lib/ext   [in the Java 2 SDK]"

The example you gave above is not completely valid, since when you use
Extension-List it seems you must also supply the
<extension>-Implementation-URL header - it is not indicated as optional.
Seems a little location dependent :-) - Just kidding.

Anyway, I guess the container implementors are interpreting the spec
somewhat liberally.

Conor