ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: TryCatchFinallyTask ?
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:40:30 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> I probably would have if it had been implemented as an antcall rather than as
> a container ;)

I quite like the idea. I agree that error handling is pretty poor. We
can see that from the proliferation of failonerror attributes which have
been growing. People do want to continue running their builds when
things blow up. This would make most failonerror attributes obsolete,
though I don't think I'd suggest deprecating them :-)

Of course, the same argument could be used for the "if" and "unless"
attributes and we may be on a slippery slope there (slippery slopes can
be fun though).

You mentioned antcall, but the I'd say of of the most common patterns is
going to be:

<try>
    <antcall target="main"/>
</try>
<catch>
    <echo message="Aw, my build broke"/>
</catch>

<tbody> doesn't really work for me. I thought of <checked>. The other
possibility might be a structure like this

<try>
   <tasks>
      <echo>
   </tasks>