ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Wannheden, Knut" <K...@paranor.ch>
Subject Thoughts about <ant> task
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:19:25 GMT
Hi,

I posted this message last week to this mailing list without getting any
response.  It's difficult to tell if just nobody had time/interest to reply
on this topic or if I maybe ignorantly violated some netiquette of yours.
If the latter is the case, I'd be happy if someone could enlighten me on
this.  Anyway, I'll give it another try.

One of the requested features for Ant2 was for the <ant> task to find build
files according to a fileset and invoke a common target in them (as stated
in http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant2/requested-features.txt).

I just wanted to know if any progress has been made on this issue regarding
closer specification, or (even better) implementation?

One problem that I see with this task is that not only all the buildfiles
(currently the optional "antfile" attribute) need to be specified, but also
the basedir to use for the calls (the "dir" attribute).  There clearly
exists some overlap between these two attributes, as the buildfile will most
likely be in a subdirectory of the basedir for that "subproject".

One solution would be to only specify the basedirs in the fileset (assuming
the future fileset type will allow this) and require all buildfiles to be in
a specified relative directory to these basedirs.  Default would of course
be the case where the buildfile is called "build.xml" and is located in the
basedirs themselves.

Another, less elegant IMHO, option would be to let the buildfiles make up
the fileset and optionaly specify the basedirs to be relative to those (e.g.
"../..").

Are there any other concrete ideas on how to go about this problem?

Regards,

--
knut