ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ClassLoaders ( was: Re: We need to stop the lies)
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 01:11:21 GMT
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:05, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> > You don't need any changes to ants core tasks to implement the
> > functionality. You could quite easily go to commons and implement it over
> > there against ant1.4.1
>
> The hooks are not only for that particular change - they solve few
> big problems in ant - it allows Tasks to be created by a factory that
> can control the loader, allow an alternative Project helper to
> be plugged in ( i.e. XML2 support, other extensions ), allow more
> flexibility in creating adapters.

I don't think the ProjectHelper changes will cause any problems. The only one
who has ever expressed doubts over that style is Conor and I believe he has
changed his mind.

The ClassLoader is however a completely different beastie and until it is
thouroughly tested shouldn't be anywhere near ants core - especially as it
doesn't need to be. If it turns out to be a good idea we can always
incorporate it later.

> > Given how unlikely it is that your changes will be accepted into the main
> > tree I would recomend that as the best path forward.
>
> Well, I think the changes are solving a real problem in Ant1,
> and I see no reason to not have them accpted.

But you are unlikely to stick around to maintain ant.

> If you have a valid reason to -1 any of the changes and a second
> commiter will agree with you - I'll try to work around and find
> a better solutions.

Thats going to be the only real solution for you I suspect.

> Jose Alberto is the only reason for giving up on extending TaskAdapter,
> since I don't believe your argument is valid. But the rule
> is there, if a second commiter believes the same, it's valid.

Jose is not a committer as such. Feel free to wail.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The perfect way is only difficult for those who pick and choose.  Do not
like, do not dislike; all will then be clear.  Make a hairbreadth
difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to
stand clear before you, never be for or against." - Bruce Lee