ant-dev mailing list archives

From e...@mind.net
Subject Re: Patternsets, Filesets, and Mapper
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:32:38 GMT
Bugzilla? No, according to http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html, I was supposed to
send them to this list. I have done that twice now. The one I was referring to was a few
emails before yours on the list.

What is the logic of the FileSet not handling mappers?  A PatternSet can represent a list
of items (say, package names).  A FileSet can not be generated from this unless either the
PatternSet or FileSet handle mappers.  Since PatternSet does not allow nested PatternSets,
you can not use one PatternSet (package names) for the source of two FileSets (.java and
.class) unless the FileSet handles mappers.  By providing mapper capability to PatternSet
and FileSet, all tasks immediately have the capability of taking this sort of input.

Do we have something, other than the API and Manual, that explain what the preferred
design would be?  Doing a grep of the source shows that only about 5 tasks even allow
mappers, and PatternSets and FileSets are not very interchangeable.

Thanks,
Malachi