ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:22:40 GMT
On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:30, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> > From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
> >
> > On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:58, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> > > The JDK spec specifies that all dependant jars are named relative to
> > > the jar requiring it, and the only variable allowed is the ${os_name}
> > > or something like that to work arround native libraries. So, libraries
> > > of a project have no way to express dependencies on libraries that come
> > > with ANT, or your AppServer, etc.
> >
> > Nope. Go read the spec.
>
> Pete,
>
> I've seen you say this many times but never understood why. I have read
> extensions/spec.html and it has the following
> All of this is handled by the VM. Can you point out where the spec deals
> with application resolution of optional packages?

Hmm - I am fairly sure I answered this question last time ...

It is ****NOT**** done by the JVM but needs to be implemented by container
vendors. Avalon/Phoenix implements it, as does TC4 as does most newer servlet
(and ejb?) containers because it is part of their spec.

Look at they way that all the commons products now use it - even ant is
following the spec now due to a recent contribution. Heres a basic reference

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html

Example dependency declaration

Extension-List: javahelp
javahelp-Extension-Name: javax.help
javahelp-Specification-Version: 1.0
javahelp-Implementation-Version: 1.0.3
javahelp-Implementation-Vendor-Id: com.sun

No location dependent information there.

--
Cheers,

Pete