ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <loadfile>, ant 2
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:53:24 GMT
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:52, Steve Loughran wrote:
> From the ant 2 guidelines
>
> >* add an attribute to <property> to read in an entire file as the
> >  value of a property.
> >
> >  [will need more discussion because of vote by Peter Donald]
> >
> >  [REJECTED - veto by Peter Donald]
>
> Peter, do you remember why you rejected this?

> Was it the principle of the
> thing,

partially. The main reason people were proposing to use it was as a band-aid
to ant because ant did not support necessary functionality (namely selection
flow control).  What was the use case you mainly wanted to put it to?

> or just yet more <property> overloading that was niggling you?

That is definetly an ugly ;)

> If it was a principle thing then my little <loadfile> addition needs to be
> stared hard at before it makes it to a shipping build. Personally I find it
> powerful and handy, but that could be bias.

Add it in. Its going to be at least June before there is anything stable
enough to replace the ant1.x tree and until then another bandaid wont hurt
too much - well as long as it doesn't effect the container part ;)

BTW did you follow the semi-convention of using srcFile ?

--
Cheers,

Pete