ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:28:36 GMT
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:19, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> > That nothing needs to be changed as all is good now.
>
> Are you trying to say that the <style> <ejbjar> etc. task are working as
> advertised, and that it should be just natural that people need to pick
> appart the jars that we shipped to get their work done?

I am saying that within the bounds of ant1 theres not much you can do to fix
it without breaking somebodys setup.

> > Myrmidon just declares dependencies via the JDK1.3
> > "Optional Package" spec on libraries and then all dependencies will
> > loaded into same classloader (unless they already exist in parent
> > ClassLoader).
>
> This is also available in Antlib proposal. However, in my experience ans
> due to the fact that many 3rd party libraries have a different release
> cycle than ANT, you finish with libraries with the wrong name, and it is
> difficult to use libraries relative to the project.

Not sure what you mean. The jars don't need to be relative to project - they
could be but thats not important. Whats important is that they declare
dependency information and it is up to runtime to locate it given a specified
designation.

> > They are already written but I don't think they are appropriate for ant.
> > I think you will find that reusing classloaders rather than recreating a
> > new one will cause far more troubles than its worth and not at all viable
> > in some cases (ie Velocity case).
>
> Can you please elaborate? What is the Velocity case?

Use of a separate instance of ClassLoader for each task instance. So ideally
if you run velocity twice then separate ClassLoaders will be created for each
run. This is because some tasks use static variables through dependent
libraries.

--
Cheers,

Pete