ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:28:10 GMT
On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:33, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
>
> > > For what I remembered of his description of
> > > classloader hierarchy, I think it is too limiting.
> > > If libA needs things from libB, his approach will
> > > declare that "libA extends libB" which is fine unless
> > > libA also needs things from libC. Now you cannot do it
> > > because we have single inheritance (i.e., a
> > > classloader onl has one parent classloader).
> >
> > If the set of classes from each source is disjoint then there is no real
> > need for a strictly hierarchial approach. You can easily accomodate the
> > multiparent scenario.
> >
> > However what you describe does not need this and may be modeled as simple
> > aggregation of classloaders like most other container based APIs specify.
>
> So what is your point?

That nothing needs to be changed as all is good now.

> Does mutant or myrmidom proposals do this right now?

nope.

> What antlib's does is exactly classloader agregation. What I remember from
> the ANT2 proposals (do not remember which) required one to give a global
> name to the library in a descriptor, and then it required one to declare
> that the library "extends" another. And that was implemented by parenting.

Mutant does that. Myrmidon just declares dependencies via the JDK1.3
"Optional Package" spec on libraries and then all dependencies will loaded
into same classloader (unless they already exist in parent ClassLoader).

> Unless you are planning to write some new proxy classloaders that allow for
> multiple parents, I really do not understand yout comments above.

They are already written but I don't think they are appropriate for ant. I
think you will find that reusing classloaders rather than recreating a new
one will cause far more troubles than its worth and not at all viable in some
cases (ie Velocity case).

--
Cheers,

Pete