ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:31:12 GMT
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:43, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> > Your description sounds a lot like Conor's of
> > Mutant's class loader
> > hierarchy (see proposal/mutant/docs/desc.html) and
> > Myrmidon does
> > something similar IIRC.  So you we all basically
> > agree that having a
> > class loader hierarchy like that is the way we
> > should go -
> > unfortunately this is not backwards compatible for
> > the things that
> > have been shipping with Ant before.
> For what I remembered of his description of
> classloader hierarchy, I think it is too limiting.
> If libA needs things from libB, his approach will
> declare that "libA extends libB" which is fine unless
> libA also needs things from libC. Now you cannot do it
> because we have single inheritance (i.e., a
> classloader onl has one parent classloader).

If the set of classes from each source is disjoint then there is no real need
for a strictly hierarchial approach. You can easily accomodate the
multiparent scenario.

However what you describe does not need this and may be modeled as simple
aggregation of classloaders like most other container based APIs specify.

"Liberty means responsibility. That is
      why most men dread it." - Locke

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>