ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pluggable ProjectHelper
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:08:04 GMT
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 03:01, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Would you mind making all those icky protected variables private :)
>
> No problem, I'll do that.
>
> If nobody is -1 for the patch, I would commit it (I'll wait another day
> for comments). An additional improvement I want to make is to add a
> createProject() method in ProjectHelper and use it instead of
> new Project().

Love the idea, like the patch and can't see any backwards incompatability
.... but then again I don't know this part that well.

It would be nice to run jdiff (from sourceforge) over two version of
ant source which will demonstrate that there is on incompatabilities at the
interface level ;)

> There are many use cases:
> - an IDE using ant, that may construct the targets/tasks on the fly, from
> internal data - without using XML at all.
>
> - embedding ant in a webapp or SOAP service, and using the POST
> data to drive it.
>
> - someone using ant for 'scripting' or some other evil use, and using
> a plugin that supports modifiable variables ( hopefully with a proper
> declaration and leaving the 'normal' properties unmodifiable ).

Yep - I used ant as a replacement for cron by doing this ;)

> I would also like to commit some changes to the Ant task, making
> it useable as an independent component that would jumpstart ant.
> ( I already wrote an 'EmbededAnt', by refactoring Main, but Ant task
> seems a much better place to do that ).

I would like to see an EmbeddedAnt object that is used by the tasks rather
than the opposit way around.

--
Cheers,

Pete