ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/proposal/myrmidon/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Task.java
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:02:26 GMT
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:51, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> > We could almost reimport that ant1 compat layer and gump wouldn't
> > break ...
> > well almost ;)
>
> Er, which ant1 compat layer?

It was written about a year ago and basically allowed you to run *most* ant1
tasks. (At least the ones that didn't do naughty things). There was a few
holes

* it didn't redirect standard out like ant1.x
* it didn't handle ant1.x listeners properly
* it didn't handle any task that went and fiddled with inner bits (ie the
optional.ide.* tasks)
* it didn't gracefully handle tasks that reused other tasks via createTask()

I am sure there are other things I am missing but it handled a lot of the
ant1 tasks. I actually shipped a version of myrmidon that run a bunch of ant1
tasks as part of a product and they haven't complained ... too loudly yet ;)

Anyways when I restarted working on myrmidon I removed it from CVS when I
imported the main ant1.x tree because it caused funny buggers with gump. I
didn't know enough about gump at the time to fix it and couldn't really be
bothered.

It is relatively easy to reimport the code once we are further along in
converting the ant1.x tasks to myrmidon - and more importantly no myrmidon
code resides in the ant1.x namespace.

> > > Axe Configurable next :)
> >
> > aww!
> >
> > Before I do that I am going to axe CascadingException and replace a
> > codedependency with a "pattern" dependency. ie we can specify
> > that exceptions
> > that declare a method "Throwable getCause()" are
> > "cascading"/"nested" etc and
> > then a whole chunk of code becomes independent of both Ant and Avalon !
> > ;)
>
> Yeah, and integrated with Java 1.4.  Nice.

yep ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete