ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdef s Zip.java
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:30:29 GMT
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:11, Jon Skeet wrote:
> This seems to be as good a post as any to put my tuppence-worth in. I'm
> thinking about Ant2 here - I have no particular views on 1.5. Obviously
> there are merits to both sides of the deprecation/removal/whatever
> argument:
>
> (I'm assuming a build-file conversion utility.)

yep.

> Leaving stuff in:
> o Gives more familiarity for users when it comes to recognising their
> converted files and adding to them o Means we don't need a single preferred
> name
> o Adds to the complexity of the code (in terms of extra methods which are
> essentially of no use) o Adds to the difficulty of reading someone else's
> build file if they're using undocumented names o Keeps existing code which
> uses varying method calls

However far more importantly IMHO is

o Leaving stuff in makes it harder to write build files due to inconsistencies

> It strikes me that aside from the part about choosing a single preferred
> name,

I think we just need someone to step up and rigourously define a "standard"
approach to naming attributes/elements and then document this stanrd. From
now on we could start using it. We already sort of decided on
destFile/srcFile etc but it is not documented etc

> a dedicated alias facility in taskdefs would get round a lot of this.

It has been proposed before and will possibly be available via a TaskInfo
object. To generate the TaskInfo object you could specify attributes in your
tasks javadocs. ie

/**
 * @ant:alias classpath Use Classpath attribute instead
 */