ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <propertyfile> bug
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 02:16:28 GMT
--- Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> I had touched this module a while back because the default values were
> not working properly so I was afraid I might have broken it.

Well, we both kind of did :)  You did with your big change, and me with my
little one.

> But I see a change you put in that changed:
>                 newValue += value;
>                 newValue = ++value;
>
> I don't really understand how this fixed a bug since it implements
> incorrect behavior.

Well, at least it fixed the other incorrect behaviour :)

> The idea is that the 'value' attribute, when performing a
> increment or decrement, represents the amount to increment or decrement,
> but you implemented a +1 incrementing always.

Yep -- did it a little too quick, and didn't see that a value to add or
subtract could even be specified (thought it was always just inc/dec by
1).

Basically, the problem was that, if a value was in fact specified and
there was an old value as well, then you've got another number to deal
with that you weren't taking into account (ie., assigning the old value to
an int, so it could be added to value, and actually adding it). IOW: You
can't just say 'newValue += value', because there's no addition to value
of oldValue that way.

Anyway, I've put through another fix, and hopefully, this one will fix it
for real.

Thanks for finding the little bugger,
Diane

=====