ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant in the future
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:59:31 GMT
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:46, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > > I don't remember this event - can you give more details ? Was it a
> > > problem with the idea or the implementation ?
> >
> > idea.
>
> I'll try to search the archives.
>
> One of my pains today is the ProjectHelper - and I think the best solution
> is to separate it and make it pluggable i.e. other 'helper engines'
> could be used, assuming the 'contracts' are respected ( it's backward
> compatible ).

good luck.

> This is similar with 'pluggable task engine'. I assume the 'task engine'
> is the code in Project that resovles target deps and calls the
> tasks.

Nope the task engine was simply "Execute a task I give you in this
environment". project engine was "Execute a project I give you in this
environment"

> Refactoring the code ( with the current API preserved, wrapping
> the new class ) seem to me like a decent ( and similar ) proposal,
> that would be benefical for ant.
>
> Is anything that I'm missing here ?

Try it. I will await patches but I don't think it is as easy as you say nor
will it be as easy as you think to get it into the core.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"You know what a dumbshit the 'average man' on the street is? Well, by
definition, half of them are even dumber than that!"
					J.R. "Bob" Dobbs