ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multiple patternsets in a fileset
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 01:37:01 GMT
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:32, Bruce Atherton wrote:
> At 06:57 PM 2/17/02 -0500, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> >Just to add more fuel to the fire - even if we were to change this
> > behavior, it could not be for Ant 1.x since that would break backwards
> > compatibility.
>
> Now, this is a very good point and a valid reason why one wouldn't want to
> change the current behaviour.
>
> Suppose, though, that Ant 1.x has behaviour that is "incorrect" (as defined
> by the majority of committers). How would people feel about correcting the
> behaviour UNLESS a "-legacy" flag was added to the command line, in which
> case the old behaviour would hold. This is similar to what was discussed
> with BuildExceptions on deprecated features, and would be used in the same
> way. If you had a build file that relied on the old behaviour, you would
> include the flag. Everyone else would get the "correct" behaviour by
> default.

It doesn't really matter what the majority of committers thinks. The majority
of committers think several things are wrong / inconsistent / bad with ant
but thats no reason to break compatability just yet. Ant2 is a clean slate
and theres the time to do it if it gets done.

--
Cheers,

Pete

The phrase "computer literate user" really means the person
has been hurt so many times that the scar tissue is thick
enough so he no longer feels the pain.
   -- Alan Cooper, The Inmates are Running the Asylum