ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Multiple patternsets in a fileset
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 01:37:01 GMT
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:32, Bruce Atherton wrote:
> At 06:57 PM 2/17/02 -0500, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> >Just to add more fuel to the fire - even if we were to change this
> > behavior, it could not be for Ant 1.x since that would break backwards
> > compatibility.
> Now, this is a very good point and a valid reason why one wouldn't want to
> change the current behaviour.
> Suppose, though, that Ant 1.x has behaviour that is "incorrect" (as defined
> by the majority of committers). How would people feel about correcting the
> behaviour UNLESS a "-legacy" flag was added to the command line, in which
> case the old behaviour would hold. This is similar to what was discussed
> with BuildExceptions on deprecated features, and would be used in the same
> way. If you had a build file that relied on the old behaviour, you would
> include the flag. Everyone else would get the "correct" behaviour by
> default.

It doesn't really matter what the majority of committers thinks. The majority
of committers think several things are wrong / inconsistent / bad with ant
but thats no reason to break compatability just yet. Ant2 is a clean slate
and theres the time to do it if it gets done.

The phrase "computer literate user" really means the person
has been hurt so many times that the scar tissue is thick
enough so he no longer feels the pain.
   -- Alan Cooper, The Inmates are Running the Asylum

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message