ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Locke <jonathanwlo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: question and idea.
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:41:04 GMT

we're getting hung up on semantics here and it's totally my
fault (sorry!).  what i was getting at is that XML defines markup
for documents and not pure-and-simple trees in this sense:

in XML you can have text nodes (PCDATA) interspersed within
any element body.  what i'm suggesting is creating a specialized
syntax that is for pure and simple node/attribute trees -- like
config files.  the upshot of this is that you couldn't represent
*document* markup with the syntax i'm suggesting.  so it's not really
equivalent to XML because it can only express the subset of XML that
is about simple node/attribute trees.  does that make more sense? ;-)

it's easy to start thinking of DOM as tied to a bunch of XML angle
brackets.  but it's a lot more than that, in my opinion.  the DOM can
be used to access any structured data, regardless of representation
or backing.  for example, you can have a DOM with a database describing
a document instead of XML.  and a DOM consumer like Ant should never
know the difference, or care one way or the other.  since ant is really
being configured by a DOM (which just happens to be XML right now),
all I'm really suggesting is an alternative way of describing that DOM
which is less cumbersome and maybe more powerful or better tuned to
the problem of config files... some creative thinking about what
configuration data is all about might help here...

my little hack is to create a limited config file DOM by using the
existing SAX parser API to make DOM think it's working with XML...
i'm not knowledgable enough to know if that's the right way to
accomplish such a thing.  maybe it would be better done some other
way.