ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Locke <jonathanwlo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: question and idea.
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 20:01:03 GMT

> The problem is, it isn't XML.  Maybe I'm missing the point, but it seems
> to me that you've just created YAML; XML is supposed to make the mechanism
> of parsing these files easier by providing two well defined properties:
> well-formedness and the potential to validate (partially) the structure of
> the document.

you bring up good points, to which i have a few responses that may or may
not sway you...

 - it's *not* YAML because it's not an ML.  it's limited (intentionally)
   to tree structures (where XML describes document markup).

 - it would support schemas and dtd's (which would stay the same) that
   describe tree structured documents.  you would get all the well-formedness
   and validation properties therein.

> XML has been doing this for years.  Admittedly its a tad verbose, but
> there are worse things.  Why reinvent the wheel yet again?

i guess my root feeling here is that tree data is not really a document.
it can certainly be *treated* as a document, but it's really a subclass
of documentness.  it's treeness and so it seems reasonable to have a special
syntax that is better able to describe "tree documents".

> The rules you have defined are fine as far as they go, but I'm willing to
> bet there are lots of issues you haven't address.  For example, how do you
> manage importing external documents?

i don't think this *should* come up, as we're only replacing the SAX level
of DOM.  it *should* in theory be 100% transparent to higher level things
like document parsers, validators, schemas etc.  that is, if the XML people
have done there job optimally...

> My $0.02.  (I mourn the loss of the cent character from the keyboard...
> and yes, I do remember when there was a cent character..)

;-)

would like to here your reactions to my refinements here...