ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TryCatchFinallyTask - thoughts and possible syntax
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:28:58 GMT
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:14, Bevan Arps wrote:
> At 20:25 10/02/2002 +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> >Error handling in ant sucks ...
>
> I agree 100%

As a side issue. Would everyone mind describing what they think are the worst
features of ant are? I can think of 4 things that bug me no end (error
handling is one of them) - anyone else care to generate a list? I would be
interested to here it. My list basically is

* error handling sucks
* missing selection (if) constructs (others may add missing repetition
constructs)
* PITA to create reusable build file chunks
* PITA to extend and manage extensions, dependencies and so forth

> Peters Example to explain:
> ><tbody>
> >   <try>
> >     <echo message="About to fail"/>
> >     <fail message="Failing!"/>
> >   </try>
> >   <catch>
> >     <echo message="the task failed but we are ignoring it"/>
> >   </catch>
> >   <finally>
> >     <echo message="Cleaning up after myself ..."/>
> >   </finally>
> ></tbody>
>
> When does the finally task get executed - before the catch or after?

after - same as in java language.

> For the first, how about this:
>
> <try>
>    <echo message="About to make a mess"/>
>    <finally>
>      <echo message="Cleaning up mess"/>
>    </finally>
> </try>
>
> For the second case, and keeping in mind that the Ant term is "fail":
>
> <try>
>    <echo message="About to fail"/>
>    <onFail>
>      <echo message="It failed."/>
>    </onFail>
> </try>

> Just my 2c - what do you think?

Interesting - I am going to play with a few build files and see what it looks
like ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete