ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TryCatchFinallyTask ?
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:03:48 GMT
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:25, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> How about using AspectJ to accomplish the across-the-board failonerror
> capability, and any other things like if/unless?  We could turn those
> features on or off by simply performing or not performing the AspectJ step.

Interesting idea - but we can't rely on that sort of tool - especially as it
requires non-standard java and recompiles ;) FWIW we thought about this over
in Avalon land and could not justify it and went the route of programatic
aspects.

I think we have consensus to put Aspects in Ant2 to handle things like
logging, failonerror, build file documentation etc. Basically we just call
methods on an AspectHandler interface prior and after important join points
(ie before task is created, after it is created, before it is executed, after
it is executed etc).

More importantly it can also handle special case needs like gump and user
preferences.

--
Cheers,

Pete