ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 04:54:41 GMT
--- costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> I typically have at least 8 projects checked out at a time,
> including 3 versions of tomcat, and I already have 2 versions
> of ant installed.

A-ha -- here's the essential difference between the way you do things vs.
the way I do them. I never have build tools installed anywhere (as in,
permanently resident on some machine somewhere) -- all my tools are source
controlled. When someone pulls the source into a work area, the tools come
right along with it, as do the buildfiles and anything else needed to run
the build. If they're pulling head revisions, they get latest&greatest --
if they're pulling from a label, they get the tools and buildfiles at the
versions they were at when that label got created (ie., when that
build/release was done), because they got labelled right along with
everything else. Any tools/files that make up the build process are (to me
anyway) just as much a part of the source as the source-code files are.
Any buildfile I have that was written for Ant1.2 will have an Ant1.2 to
run against, because that's what'll get pulled into the tree. Just having
who-knows-what installations of the tools around on who-knows-which
machines would be, to me, a guaranteed road to chaos and, frankly, gives
me the willies just thinking about it :)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)