ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2002 15:30:39 GMT
--- Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think we are loosing sight of why the deprecation message is there.
>
>     IT IS THERE TO MAKE YOU UPGRADE YOUR BUILDFILE

Which begs the question: Why do we want people to upgrade their buildfile?
If we're never going to actually get rid of the code that supports the
deprecated stuff, then why do we care whether anyone ever upgrades their
buildfile? We can optionally provide the information, and let them choose
whether to care about it -- but if we're keeping all the old code around
forever anyway, then there's no reason for us to output that information
by default. IOW, why keep hammering home the fact that something's
"deprecated" if it's going to continue to work as it always did, and
nothing's ever going to happen as a result of their -not- upgrading?

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)