ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:03:59 GMT
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 06:55, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>
>
> > > What is the motivation for this?
> >
> > To clean up old cruft. I just don't see
> > any need to keep including in the
> > documentation stuff that we don't want
> > people using anyway. (And besides which,
> > I have this tendency [okay, call it a
> > compulsion :)] to fix up any text that's
> > in front of me, so I end up reading and
> > editing old junk -- until it hits me that
> > I'm putting energy into something I don't
> > really need to be putting it into.)
>
> If it has been more than 2 releases old,
> then +1 to chuck it away from documents.
> Otherwise, I would prefer they stay
> because a user transitioning, say, from
> Ant 1.4 to 1.6 should be able to see
> the deprecation warning before we pull
> it off altogether.

Not sure I follow. I think Diane is saying we narf documentation for
deprecated attributes/elements. So that deprecated attributes can stay around
forever and will issue warnings when used. ie

DEPRECATED: Attribute foo deprecated, use bar instead.

So I would be +1 on removing docs, -1 on removing underlying method.

> Would this be acceptable as a document
> deprecation/removal process policy?
>
> > Diane
>
> Cheers,
> Magesh

> *  Yawn: The only time some married men ever  *
> *  get to open their mouth.                   *

Cheers,

Pete

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for
the pebbles to vote.  -Ambassador Kosh