ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [Submit] PVCS Dimensions
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:07:23 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 03:11
Subject: RE: [Submit] PVCS Dimensions

> --- Nigel Magnay <Nigel.Magnay@Parsec.co.uk> wrote:
> > On the other hand, it'd be a real pain to have to hunt the web for all
> > the extra extensions needed for a particular environment. Lots of
> > people have to use PVCS - so in the meantime they'll download ant and
> > find it inadequate for their needs, despite the fact that someone has
> > written a PVCS connector (unless they're really keen and hunt the patch
> > down themselves).

I'm kind of biased towards having the SCM tasks which just shell out to exec
as part of the main ant distro, as SCM integration is important, and having
control of them makes it easier if in future we ever try to provide a
unified front end to a common subset of funcationality.

> Actually, when I was reworking the tasks overview page, I was thinking of
> adding a section for Unsupported (or External, Contributed, whatever)
> Tasks, and listing the links in the doc. Would something like that
> suffice? (See the tasksoverview.html file in ...docs/manual in CVS to see
> what I'm referring to.)

Problem with having that on the d/l docs is that it is frozen with the
release, which is ok for the bundled stuff but not for third party tasks.