ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject <javac>, System.exit() and security managers
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:44:32 GMT

I have just committed the test case for javac which demonstrates that
unforked execution does not pick up exit codes, seemingly because there is
no security manager in place to catch calls to System.exit(), which is at
odds with my vague recollections.

The end result right now is that failonerror is moot when fork=false, but
also that a bit of java code (even an junit test) can fatally kill the build
without any reporting of the fact.

We have the ant.util.optional.NoExitSecurityManager, but IDEA says that
nobody is using this class. So how do are we currently trying to stop
<javac> tasks from calling System.exit(), and, given that it clearly does
not work, how can we fix it.

NB, NoExitSecurityManager is in optional because it must be excluded for
java1,1 compiles. according to CVS; it may be that we cant do exit catching
in 1.1 properly at all. Just to complicate the solution search...

-steve