ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject AspectJ (Was: Re: TryCatchFinallyTask ?)
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:59:18 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> It may solve it in a cleaner way but the cost of adopting it is
prohitively
> high given the benefit we will receive from it. Much less complex to use a
> simple interface based on more familiar designs.

I'm a total newbie to AspectJ and would have quite a learning curve to come
up to speed with it myself, but its something I'm going to dig into one way
or another.

The cost of adopting it is only among the committers and contributors, not
among general users of Ant.

The same argument could have been made about using abstract classes and
other OO techniques or any of the design patterns - its much less complex to
write straight procedural code, why not just use switch statements instead
of this new-fangled abstract factory?!!  :)

    Erik