ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: TryCatchFinallyTask ?
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:31:36 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:25, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> > How about using AspectJ to accomplish the across-the-board failonerror
> > capability, and any other things like if/unless?  We could turn those
> > features on or off by simply performing or not performing the AspectJ
step.

> Interesting idea - but we can't rely on that sort of tool - especially as
it
> requires non-standard java and recompiles ;) FWIW we thought about this
over
> in Avalon land and could not justify it and went the route of programatic
> aspects.

You don't have to write non-standard Java for your tasks.  The aspects
themselves would contain the aspect-specific syntax.  And we could build
with or without aspects, which has some interesting side effects of being
able to turn on/off failonerror capability, logging, etc.  Why couldn't we
rely on such a tool?  We rely on javac. Soon we'll rely on XDoclet.  Why not
rely on something like AspectJ if it solves the issues we're encountering
cleaner and more robustly than we could do without it?

Cactus is now using AspectJ.

Check out a great article my friend Nick wrote over at developerWorks (he's
a Cactus committer):
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-aspectj

> More importantly it can also handle special case needs like gump and user
> preferences.

I'm not sure what  Gump needs differently.  But user preferences shouldn't
be considered a "special case" - it should be built in to the architecture,
no?

    Erik