ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:45:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <sbailliez@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: Speaking of deprecation...

> snapshot easily takes 1 GB. (this is where I wished all HTML docs could be
> in a JavaHelp or CHM-like format automatically)

www.iseran.com/stuff : JDK130 and J2EE sdks in chm

Built these using the MS html help toolkit 1.2; I dont know of an automated
way of triggering this; If I really had to I could post WM_COMMAND messages
to simulate meny actions into the app.

I dont actually keep JDKs under SCM, but we list in big letters what ones to
use. This does not stop operations from sticking different versions on
production servers because they think better...my app now has defensive
measures in like checking for old versions of java, crimson and refusing to
run. Kind of funny when your code has to contain tests because ops dont read
the documentation, but that is all in the category of 'installation
validation' tests, that I now belive all deployed apps should have,.

I do keep jikes under SCM, because I dont want anyone using the 1.15 build.
We also have created differently named launcher scripts for ant, booting off
a different set of env variables, 'PUMICE_ANT_HOME, PUMICE_ANT_OPTS ,...' so
that you can avoid PATH issues, i.e. "which version of ant are you using"

So to get back to Costin: SCM means Software Configuration Management, not
source code management. When you build/deploy on any toolchain with a rate
of change greater than the life of the project, then yes, everything you can
should go into SCM, even if clearcase does happen to suck.

Actually, a nice addition to keeping everything on SCM is that bringing up
somebidy new is easier. No real list of things to install; and stuff that
does need installation should all be on hand. we even had versions of Jedit
around 'cos we needed the builds that were stable on an MPU.