ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: XDocs Proposal
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:00:19 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Burton" <billb@progress.com>

> I looked briefly to see where {0} was comming from but it wasn't obvious
> to me.

Look in build.xml.  The TemplateSubTask uses that information to figure out
whether to generate a file for each class processed (so the template has an
implied class "context") or whether to just process the template file once
(and internally you'd have to loop over classes using forAllClasses, or in
our case forAllTasks).

> Since categories are an entirely new thing, it seems simpler to me just to
> pick ones that are simple to use with the category attribute and then no
> mapping would be required.

I'm not sure I follow, but I like the output structure that you've created.

> If someone really wants all the tasks in a single file, writing a
> stylesheet or maybe even concatenating all the files together would be the
> simple approach.

Agreed.

There is still one remaining bug that the XDoclet team has -1'd - darn them.
Dependency checking could use some work to save time.  Although an
<uptodate> could probably work (although thats a complex mapping, so maybe
not without some effort).  If you run the build twice in a row (well, remove
the <delete> in the "gen" target first) it will, I believe, skip running the
<template> subtasks (it will still, however, go through the time consuming
doclet process - couldn't this be avoided?).  But if you modify the template
between runs it will *still* skip the generation.  Their is dependency
checking from .java to resultant file but not against the template file too.
:(  Ara, are you listening?! :))

    Erik