ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promotion of FilterReaders proposal to main development tree.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:59:50 GMT
From: <costinm@covalent.net>

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
>
> > > Not if you first declare "striplinecomments" as a type, using
> > > a typedef declaration ( or antlib ).
> > >

> > How will I be able to extend from java.ioFilterReader
> > as well as DataType at the same time?
>
> You don't have to - again, TaskAdapter ( or RoleAdapter in
> <antlib> proposal ) will do the magic. ( well, you
> need a TypeAdapter equivalent with TaskAdapter ).
> I'm working on a generic solution based on RoleAdapter
> and TaskFactory, but even if this is not accepted,
> RoleAdapter in antlib or a trivial cut&paste from
> TaskAdapter will solve this - not only for FilterReader
> but for anything else.
>
> Plugging a bean into ant shouldn't require
> extending DataType or Task - just by implementing the
> ant patterns and letting ant do the adaptation.

Once <antlib> makes its way in, <filterreader>
will become extinct, ok?

> > Also, note one of my aims was to be able to write
> > a pluggable filterreader that has been created
> > without making use of any of Ant's APIs...  I don't
> > know how _important_ it is for this rule to
> > stay, but if it stays, it will be more convenient...
>
> Yes, this is very _important_ for me too.

cool :-)

> > > The class would have to follow ant's patterns - i.e. have
> > > addComment(), etc - like a task ( or a TaskAdapter-ed task )
> > > would.
> >
> > It already does so that it can be used
> > in short form notation too.  That is,
> > <filterreader
classname="org.apache.tools.ant.filters.StripLineComments">
> > </filterreader>
> > can also be written as
> > <striplinecomments>
> > </striplinecomments>
>
> Why do you need the first form ? It's ugly, doesn't follow the
> ant patterns, etc. We don't have <task classname="..." >.

The first form is not needed currently.
FilterChain recognizes elements added
using <striplinecomments>.

However, not all filterreaders that
are created by users will be recognized
by FilterChain.  For such filterreaders,
user would use <filterreader> (or <antlib>
when available) syntax.

The first form is just an _example_
to illustrate that striplinecomments,
though it has a convenient form, is
a generic filterreader just like
the user's.

The first form does follow ant patterns
- checkout <mapper>.

> The real problem is that you don't have enough power in
> <typedef> and TypeAdapter - but it's better to solve the
> real problem instead of doing a workaround.

As I said, I am not opposing getting this
solved in a generic way.  The element
<filterreader> inside <filterchain> is
being used just to get around Ant's current
limitations, just like <mapper>, etc.

> > There are enough proposals already ;-)
> > I will just wait till something surfaces
> > and I will use it.  Till then, look at
> > <filterreader> as another motivation
> > for <antlib> ;-)
>
> I would reverse it - look at my comments on filterreader
> as a motivation for you to get involved in <antlib>
> or just the adapter part.

Are you against the proposal being put
into the main trunk _before_ <antlib>
gets there?

> Costin

Cheers,
Magesh

*  Committee: Individuals who can do nothing    *
*  individually and sit to decide that nothing  *
*  can be done together.                        *