ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Patternsets, Filesets, and Mapper
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 04:07:58 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: <eoti@mind.net>
> > Yikes, I didn't realize I was still in this discussion!  :)
>
> Sorry, but at the time, you two were the only ones that had responded.

I don't currently have the brain power to devote to this, but I'm having a
hard time understanding exactly how you are getting this list of packages
into Ant and in what format.  Could you give us just a bit more detail on
your flow from command-line and text file format and such?

Perhaps some pre-processing XSLT is in order to generate your build file for
you?

I totally agree with you that Ant should natively deal with package names,
but I haven't thought through exactly how that should be done or at what
level... or if it even makes sense to consider for Ant 1.x.

It is frustrating that some things take package names (<test> inside
<junit>) wherease others take file paths - no argument there.

This is my general thoughts as mentioned in a previous e-mail - Ant needs to
do an even better job of dealing with the Java "domain" such that we
construct our build files exactly as we *think* about our build processes.
It needs to be able to handle the package name <--> directory name
conversions natively at the appropriately places.  It needs to be able to
pull a filename out of an absolute path where appropriate.  We should not,
as build file writers, have to go through contortions to spell out simple
Java concepts.

> Yeah, I know. I actually put this comment in my mappers:
> " * Design gleaned from the PackageNameMapper by Erik Hatcher."

*blush* - why thank you!  That, along with seeing the Java Tools book with
my name in it, at Barnes and Noble tonight have made my day!  :)

> By putting the mapper into the PatternSet (and the FileSet createMapper
just calls it on
> the default patternset like the rest of the methods), any method that
normally takes a
> PatternSet or FileSet could take a list of package names.

Still, putting a mapper inside these other datatypes is not quite right.
Perhaps the "mapper" concept inside a custom PatternSet subclass maybe?

> Realistically, I am sure that there has to be a solution with the current
codebase...

I'm sure there is.... just keep feeding us more and more details, just a
simplified spoon-fed example of your toolchain, command-line, and text file
stuff.

    Erik