ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with ClassLoaders
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 02:06:20 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:
> > On 20 Feb 2002, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure that we really want to solve the classloader problems
> >> in Ant 1 - and if we really can without breaking backwards
> >> compatibility.
> >
> > I don't agree with not fixing something based on some speculations
> > about the future - ant2 doesn't exist.
>
> The more important part was "and if we really can without breaking
> backwards compatibility".
>
> We cannot change the classloader handling for things that don't use
> <antlib> (or <taskdef> if we throw in additional parameters to control
> the behavior).
>
> But even then, we wouldn't solve the current problems.

Why not?

In my view, we should have only CORE in the CLASSPATH. The optional.jar
finally chopped could be located in the auto-load directories segregated
so that incompatible parts load in separate classloaders. If there are some
tasks that realy would break if not in CLASSPATH we could put them in lib.

I do not want to be playing classpath games on my ant installation everytime
I need to do a new thing in my projects.

Jose Alberto