ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: <ant>
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:30:35 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 1:17 AM
Subject: Re: <ant>

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:02, Steve Loughran wrote:
> > Also, targets name "                     " are in the silly category,
but I
> > dont have a check for them. Just think how many cpu cycles would be
wasted
> > over time if every time a target in ant was created included a look to
> > verify that nobody was creating a target name containing nothing but
> > spaces. (yes, I know, you scan forwards till the first non space is hit,
> > but I take the view if you want to try that hard, we should let you)
>
> I really don't think it is that much of a performance killer. Perhaps
> 1/1000th of the time spent in the XML parsing :)

I have done too much laptop engineering. It aint just the cycles, it is the
electrons wasted. Tests waste more than sequential computation as branch
misprediction turns lithium ions into heat without useful work done.

> I would just warn when any character not in the set
>
> a-z A-Z 0-9 . - _
>
> Maybe drop the '.' so names ar emore consistent with defacto xml naming
> conventions.

But that is at odds with i18n requirements. we need to filter on 'letters
and numbers in all supported alphabets'. The .NEt compilers do this; I did
an experimental C# file with russian method names, greek variables. Didnt
try anything fancy like arabic numerals. The language was smart enough to
distinguish foreign letters from foreign symbols, enforcing the 'methods
begin with a letter or an underscore' rule regardless of alphabet of the
letter.

To return to the higher level issue. Where can I place the warning? putting
it in Task.setName doesnt work. putting it in execute() wont warn on non
executed tasks.