ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with ClassLoaders
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:56:42 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So what, it that is your case, you could either:
> >
> >     a) move your task out of the CLASSPATH and into the same
> >     ./autolib subdirectory as where JunitTask lives (e.g.,
> >     ./autolib/junit/junittask.jar)
> >
> >     b) move JunitTask's jar back into ./lib/junittask.jar
> >
> >     c) add %ANT_HOME%/autolib/junit/junittask.jar to your CLASSPATH
> >     for the build.
>
> I could probably quote you to the effect of "what, you expect me to
> change my Ant installation if I decide to write my enhanced JUnit
> task"?  I'm kidding here - all I wanted to demonstrate was that your
> changes would break backwards compatibility as things that worked out
> of the box in Ant 1.4.1 wouldn't do so any longer.

We do not ship junit.jar as part of ANT (do we?). Not until the last release
we never shipped optional.jar with ANT, you had to download it and install it.

I do not think it is any different to ask people to do steps (a,b or c).

Backward compatibility means that you still can do what you did before, it does not
mean that you will not need to set the thing properly for your backward compatibility mode.

> >     d) do not put things in your CLASSPATH, bad practice, and
> >     instead use: <taskdef name="myjunit"
>
> I completely agree with you, that not putting anything into CLASSPATH
> would be the better option to begin with, but we cannot enforce that
> now.

That is what backward compatibility is for.

Jose Alberto